What Can I Do To Deter Mosquitoes In Tampa?
August 5, 2022
If you live in Tampa, you know that mosquitoes are a common pest here. In fact, they are the most common type of flying insect found in this area. Not only are they a real nuisance, but there are also some dangerous diseases carried by mosquitoes, and they can cause significant damage to your property. EcoTech Pest Control Services will discuss the differences between mosquitoes and flies, the major problems they cause in your yard, and how to prevent them. We will also provide information on how you can get rid of mosquitoes for good with pest control in Tampa.
Differences Between Mosquitoes And Flies
The most obvious difference between mosquitoes and flies is that mosquitoes also have a longer body than flies, and their legs are thinner. If you're still unsure which insect you're dealing with, take a close look at their mouthparts. Flies have sucking mouthparts, while mosquitoes have piercing-sucking mouthparts. These differences are important to know because they help determine what kind of problems each insect can cause.
Flies are attracted to garbage, while mosquitoes are attracted to standing water. This is why you'll often find them near ponds, lakes, and other stagnant water sources. Another difference between these two insects is that flies typically only live for about two weeks, while mosquitoes can live for up to six weeks. This longer lifespan gives them plenty of time to lay eggs and cause problems in your yard.
Three Problems Mosquitoes Cause
It's not only their buzzing sounds that can be a nuisance.
Here are three other reasons you definitely do not want mosquitoes in your yard:
- Bites: Mosquitoes are known for their itchy bites. They inject saliva into your skin to prevent their blood from clotting, which causes an allergic reaction. Some people are more sensitive to mosquito bites than others, and they can become very swollen and painful.
- Transmission of diseases: In some cases, mosquitoes can transmit diseases like West Nile virus, Zika virus, and malaria. These diseases can be deadly, so it's important to take steps to prevent them.
- Damage to plants and lawn: Mosquitoes feed on the sap of plants, which can cause damage. They can also spread diseases to plants, which can kill them. They lay their eggs in standing water, which can damage your lawn. The larvae will feed on the roots of your grass, which can kill it.
The best way to control mosquitoes is to stop the problem before it happens. Protect your yard from these pests by taking action to deter them, before a major infestation occurs.
Is There Anything I Can Do To Prevent Mosquitoes
There are ways to repel mosquitoes from your yard that you can try right away:
- Eliminate standing water. This is one of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away. Mosquitoes need water to lay their eggs, so eliminating sources of standing water will help reduce the population.
- Keep your yard clean. Flies are attracted to garbage, so keeping your yard clean will help keep them away.
- Use mosquito nets. If you have a patio or deck, use mosquito nets to keep them away from your outdoor living space.
- Get professional help. If you have a mosquito problem, call a professional pest control company. They can help you get rid of mosquitoes for good.
Taking a few simple preventive measures can go a long way in controlling the mosquito population in your yard. If you're already seeing too many of these pests, the best way to kill mosquitoes in your yard is by leaving it to a professional.
Benefits Of Professional Mosquito Control
If you're dealing with a major infestation, pest control from the professionals at EcoTech Pest Control Services can help. We have the tools and equipment to get rid of mosquitoes quickly and effectively. We will identify the source of the problem and eliminate it, in addition to providing long-term protection from mosquitoes. Let us give you peace of mind knowing that your yard is mosquito-free. Contact us today for a free inspection and to get started on our effective home pest control and commercial pest control services.