Raccoons are some of the most common wildlife pests that homeowners face, especially in Tampa. While they may look cute and cuddly, these creatures can be a nuisance to have around your property. Raccoon pest control in Tampa is necessary if you want to keep your home safe from these animals. In this guide, we'll cover everything you need to know about raccoon control in Tampa.
How To Identify Raccoons On Your Property
Raccoons are nocturnal animals and will usually only come out at night. However, if you see a lot of trashcans tipped over and food wrappers spread across the lawn in the morning, it's likely that raccoons have been around overnight.
Adult raccoons can weigh anywhere from 8-20 pounds and have a body length of about 2 feet. Their fur is thick and helps them stay warm during the winter months. The females are slightly smaller than males, but not by much.
With a raccoon’s coat, eyes, and tail all grayish-black in color, it can be hard to tell if you’re looking at one at night. However, they do have distinguishable features that make them identifiable. The face will look like a cat with its pointy nose and whiskers and a mask of dark fur around the eyes. Their tails tend to be bushy and have black rings along them. A raccoon’s feet are also very distinctive, as they have five toes on the front feet and four toes on the back. They have long, sharp claws that help them climb trees and dig for food.
Raccoons are omnivores, so they eat both plants and animals. They are also opportunistic feeders, which means they will eat whatever is easiest to get. When they’re out in the wild, they’ll eat insects and other small animals. They also like fruits, nuts, berries, and meat of any kind.
Raccoons are intelligent animals and are known for their curiosity. Due to this trait, they have adapted well to many different environments. Raccoons often live in forests, mountains, marshes, and even cities!
Raccoons invade homes because they are looking for a safe place to live, especially during the winter or if they are ready to have babies. They like to build their dens in attics, garages, and sheds. A raccoon den can be quite a mess because they are wild animals and often leave food, feces, urine, and other items behind. They also have strong odors that will linger in your home if they stay there for too long.
A raccoon's intelligence allows them to open doors and latches with their paws, so keeping your home locked up tight is important. If you notice that your trash cans have been knocked over or there is evidence of digging in your yard, then you likely have a problem and need pest control for raccoons.
What Kinds Of Problems Do Raccoons Cause?
Raccoons can cause a lot of problems. Let's go through the different issues they can cause and learn how to prevent them.
- They can make a mess in your trash cans: Raccoons are always looking for food, so if you leave your trash out overnight, you may find it torn apart by raccoons looking for an easy meal.
- They will get into your attic: Raccoons love nesting, and they'll find any space available to do so. If they are able to get into your home this way, they'll nest in the attic and create a big mess.
- They'll swim in your pool: This might seem like something funny at first, but the truth is that raccoons can get into your pool and contaminate the water and possibly cause some damage.
- They'll leave behind feces: Raccoons are known for their droppings, which they leave behind in all sorts of places. This can be a real problem, especially if you have children or pets.
- They can carry disease: Raccoons are known to carry a number of diseases, including rabies. If they bite or scratch you while they're in your home, you could become infected with the virus.
- They'll damage your property: Raccoons will chew through wood, plastic, and other building materials. They may also rip apart things like furniture or wiring if it's in their way.
- They may cause fires: Raccoons can get into electrical equipment and start fires. This is especially true if they're chewing on wires or if you have a fireplace.
- They can make a lot of noise: Raccoons are nocturnal animals, so they'll be active at night. This means that you may hear them running around or making other noises while they're in your home.
If you have any of these problems, then it might be time for wildlife control near you! EcoTech Pest control is a professional wildlife removal company that can help you with your raccoon problem. We offer a humane and effective raccoon control service to help you get rid of these animals for good.
Simple Tips To Prevent Raccoon Activity Around Your Yard
Raccoon activity may seem like a funny thing to think about, but it's important that you take it seriously. Raccoons are wild animals, after all. They can cause trouble for your home and property if they're not dealt with in time, resulting in a need for raccoon pest control. To avoid an infestation of raccoons, homeowners should take the following precautions:
- Keep your yard clean. The best way to prevent raccoon activity around your property is to keep it as tidy and free of food waste as possible. Raccoons are creatures of habit, and if they can find food in one place, they'll keep coming back for more.
- Keep garbage cans tightly sealed. If you've been feeding raccoons, the first thing you should do is stop doing that immediately! Then, make sure any loose trashcans or bags are tightly sealed so that no animals can get inside them, and make a mess of your kitchen or garage before it gets thrown out on trash day (or even worse—in the middle of the night).
- Remove potential sources of water from outside areas. Raccoons need water to survive, which is why they're usually found near rivers, lakes, or ponds. If you have them on your property, make sure that you block access to them with fences. If you have a pool or spa, cover them securely when they are not in use.
- If you have plants or trees on your property, make sure that they are not overhanging your roof or touching any of your walls. This will reduce the chances that raccoons will have access to those areas.
- Seal up any openings in your home that animals might use as entry points—this includes gaps under doors, loose boards on windows, and even holes or vents in the roof, which may allow raccoons access to your attic or crawlspace.
- Don't store firewood or other items that attract animals too close to your home. Debris, brush, and leaves provide perfect hiding spots for raccoons. Ridding your yard of these piles regularly is important to keep them away.
- Consider using motion-activated lights and sprinklers to scare off any animals that wander too close to your property.
If you do find an animal inside your home, try not to approach or scare it. Call a professional wildlife removal company as soon as possible so they can safely remove the animal from your home and prevent further damage or injuries caused by its presence.
Total Wildlife Control For Tampa Homes
Raccoons are common in the Tampa area and can cause a variety of different problems for homeowners. Nuisance wildlife can be dangerous for inexperienced homeowners and should be handled by a professional wildlife removal company.
If you have raccoons in your yard and are worried about wildlife removal in Tampa, don’t worry! We can help. The first step is to call EcoTech Pest Control today so we can come out and assess the situation for free. From there, we’ll be able to give some suggestions on how best to handle the problem. We have a wide variety of options for getting rid of raccoons in Tampa that will fit your needs.
Different types of wildlife require different types of treatment methods, so we’ll be able to help you find the right one for your situation. Our goal is always to make sure that our customers are happy with the work that we do. Our staff is trained to provide you with the best customer service in the industry. You can be sure that if you’re working with us, you will get great results and have a pleasant experience.
We’re happy to help with nuisance wildlife removal in Tampa and surrounding areas. Raccoon prevention and control is something we specialize in, and we will be able to help you get rid of raccoons for good! For more information about wildlife removal in Tampa, contact EcoTech Pest Control today.