What are termites?
Drywood termites and subterranean termites live in Florida and are responsible for causing extensive and costly damage to our structures. Termites are wood-eating insects and one of the few organisms able to convert cellulose into a usable food source.
In Florida, termite season is year-round, and protecting your property against these destructive pests is essential. Termites can find their way into any property where they feed on and damage structural wood and other wooden structures.
Are termites dangerous?
Protecting your home from termites is essential in order to guard it against their insatiable appetites and destructive nature. Florida residents need to be proactive in safeguarding their homes against these tiny, dangerous pests. While termites don't cause direct harm to us, they do harm to our bank accounts. Termite damage is costly to repair, and because it is preventable, it is not covered by homeowners' insurance.
Why do I have a termite problem?
Subterranean termites most often move into structures at ground level through cracks in the foundation or wood making contact with the soil. While a termite infestation can happen anywhere, properties located near wooded areas and wetlands are most susceptible.
Drywood termites often move into our homes by hitchhiking in inside pieces of wood. Unlike subterranean termites, they do not require contact with the soil to survive. Winged termites that swarm from the colony can also find their way into homes through spaces around windows, cracks in exterior walls, or openings along the roofline.
Where will I find termites?
Drywood termites nest within the wood they are infesting. Wooden playground sets, woodpiles, wooden furniture, and wooden framework often house drywood termites.
Subterranean termites live underground and travel through the soil to their food sources. Inside our homes, these termites typically infest the structural wood behind walls, under floors, and around windows and doors.
How do I get rid of termites?
At EchoTech Pest Control Services, we can help you eliminate destructive termites from your greater Tampa area property. We begin the process by performing a no-charge inspection to determine which species of termites are on your property. Then we will develop an appropriate and effective treatment plan to solve your termite problem and finally put in place the regular services needed to prevent them from returning.
EchoTech Pest Control Services offers exceptional pest control solutions and pride ourselves in providing our customers with excellent communication and superior customer service. If you are a home or business owner looking to eliminate termites from your Florida property, give us a call today.
How can I prevent termites in the future?
- Prevent water from pooling around the foundation of your home by making sure gutters and downspouts are in good working order.
- Remove tree stumps, landscaping, old fencing, or excess lumber from your yard.
- Maintain a barrier between any grass, shrubs, or mulch and the exterior of your home.
- Seal cracks in your foundation.
- Limit wood to soil contact on your property. Remove older or decaying wooden structures from your property like fences or landscaping ties.
- Makes sure fixtures and pipes in your home are not leaking, repair any leaks you find.
- Removed water-damaged wood from your home or yard.
- Inspect buildings timbers and wooden structures for signs of termites before bringing them into your home.