Tampa's Complete Guide To Effective Argentine Ant Control
August 27, 2021
Argentine ants are one of the worst invasive species. They came to the United States from South American countries by hitching a ride on trading goods. This species is 1/16 long and is light to dark brown, but a queen is larger from 1/8 to ¼ of an inch long. As prolific breeders, creating super-sized colonies with an aggressive nature, Argentine ants have disrupted the ecosystems they have been introduced to, making it difficult for other ant species to survive.
As a Tampa resident, you should know the problems Argentine ants can cause on your property and how to prevent and control them.
Problems Of Argentine Ants
As an invasive species, these ants cause both problems for the ecosystem as well as individual people. They have displaced not only native ant species but other animals and insects as well. One of the biggest problems these ants are responsible for is crop devastation.
Argentine ants eat a sweet substance called honeydew that is created by certain aphids. These aphids eat plants and crops, and because Argentine ants need them, they offer protection so aphids can keep eating, and so can these ants.
Like other ant species, Argentine ants can infest homes where they can contaminate food and spread bacteria. This is not to mention the awful smell they secrete when crushed. And because their colonies are often made up of multiple queens and hundreds of thousands of individuals, they are one of the worst home-invading pests.
It’s safe to say no one wants to deal with Argentine ants, which is why you should know how to prevent them.
Preventing Argentine Ants
Argentine ants don’t only feed on honeydew, they also eat meat, dead insects, and pet food, but they do prefer sweets. To keep these ants from your home, you need to make the property less attractive to them and seal any possible entry points. You can do this by:
- Keeping food in air-tight containers.
- Sweeping and vacuum regularly.
- Rinsing out cans and bottles before throwing them away.
- Taking the garbage out frequently and clean the bins when necessary.
- Be mindful of what plants you keep in your yard and choose ones that don’t attract the aphids that create honeydew.
- Keeping your yard maintained by cutting back branches, so they aren’t touching your home, don’t use mulch against your home, and pick up any fallen fruit.
- Fixing any leaks inside your home as well as removing unnecessary moisture outside. You can do this by not overwatering plants and utilizing bedding that doesn’t hold moisture.
- Fixing cracks in the foundation and walls of your home.
- Making sure windows and doors have proper sealing around them.
If you’ve done all the above and are still worried about Argentine Ants on your Tampa property, you should contact professionals for assistance. If these ants get into your home, it will be extremely difficult to get rid of the entire infestation on your own, as store-bought products won’t get the job done.
Professional Control For Argentine Ants
You can trust the experts at EcoTech Pest Control Services to take care of Argentine ants on your Tampa property. Our experienced technicians know what it takes to eliminate such an aggressive species and keep them from coming back again.
With EcoTech Pest Control Services, you can expect a quick response to your call because we know time is everything when it comes to any pest infestation. So don’t wait; call us today to learn how we can assist you with our home pest control services on your Tampa property.