What are cockroaches?
Cockroaches are adaptable insects that live successfully in both urban and rural areas. While there are thousands of cockroaches living worldwide outside and away from humans, a select number of species have learned to live near people. Cockroaches that live in our homes and businesses have discovered that our structures provide them with easy access to food and water, and they won’t hesitate to take advantage.
The following cockroaches are a significant pest threat in our Florida homes and businesses:
- American cockroaches
- German cockroaches
- Oriental cockroaches
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Cockroaches are a pest that we need to keep out of our homes. They pose significant health risks and can damage our personal property.
- Their shed skins and excrement trigger allergies and asthma attacks.
- They spread human pathogens and parasites.
- Cockroaches can cause bacterial infections.
- They contaminate food sources.
- They emit a musty, unpleasant odor that also can affect the taste of food.
- Their excrement can stain walls, upholstery, and other personal items.
- Cockroaches will chew holes in and damage things like clothing, paper items, and upholstery.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Oriental cockroaches and American cockroaches typically enter into our homes on their own six legs while out looking for food and moisture. Things like excess moisture, gardens, trash cans, pet food, and outdoor eating areas initially attract these cockroaches to your yard.
As they scavenge for more food to feed their insatiable appetites, they often move into homes and other structures through gaps under doors, cracks in the foundation, pipes, sewers, and vents.
On the other hand, German cockroaches are usually introduced into homes and businesses by people. They hitchhike inside of things like grocery bags, cardboard boxes, furniture, and appliances.
Where will I find cockroaches?
The German cockroach is a domestic roach; it has adapted to living solely inside man-made structures. They are the most common cockroaches living inside our homes and businesses.
Inside our homes, they hide in the dark recesses of kitchens, bathrooms, and basements, emerging at night to forage. If you see cockroaches during the day, it is an indicator that a large infestation has developed.
Oriental cockroaches and American cockroaches are known as peridomestic, meaning they live both inside and outside. Outside, they live on trees, in flowerbeds, garbage piles, and sewers and drains. Those that have crawled into our homes are usually found around drains and in spaces behind sinks, tubs, and appliances. Like German cockroaches, Oriental and American cockroaches congregate in kitchens and bathrooms.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Cockroaches thrive in Florida’s heat and humidity and can find their way into any home or business. At EcoTech Pest Control Services, we have a deep understanding of the cockroaches that live throughout Florida and know how to protect people and properties from their dangers and damages. Cockroaches are no match for our experienced and skilled professionals!
Trust EcoTech Pest Control Services to solve your cockroach problems through our guaranteed, effective, and green pest control services. If you live in the Greater Tampa area and need to eliminate cockroaches from your home or business, reach out to EcoTech Pest Control Services today!
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
- Caulk any gaps in your home’s exterior that will allow cockroaches to move into your home.
- Fix leaks inside and outside of your home that provide the excess moisture many roaches are looking for.
- Remove trash from your home daily and place it outside in trash containers with locking lids.
- Have the trash removed from your property weekly.
- Wash dirty dishes each day. If dirty dishes need to sit, make sure to fill the sink with soapy water.
- Keep your home clean and free of food debris by vacuuming and wiping down counters regularly.