Why Are There Ants In My Tampa, FL Home?
April 30, 2021
If there's one pest no one wants to deal with in Tampa, FL it's ants. There are more than 700 species in the United States alone and they run the gamut from strictly a nuisance pest to posing a danger to you or your Tampa, FL home. Fortunately, not all 700+ of these species are common in Tampa. Instead, the most common species you have to worry about include but aren't limited to:
- Argentine Ant: This ant is brown and quite small. It also doesn't have a stinger, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, they love to invade homes and get inside, which makes them extremely annoying. Add in a rapidly growing colony, and you have quite the problem on your hands if the infestation is severe.
- Carpenter Ant: This is one of the larger ants around and is known for the damage it causes to wood and other similar materials. While they don't eat wood, they do tunnel through it, making them a danger to your home.
- Red Imported Fire Ant: While this red-colored ant only grows to about 1/4 of an inch in size, it packs a powerful sting that hurts. Even worse, they're extremely aggressive and will attack in large numbers if provoked.
- Ghost Ant: Named as such for its pale color and small size, this ant is related to the odorous house ant and also emits a rotten coconut-like smell when crushed. They also have dark thoraxes and heads.
- Pharaoh Ant: This species of ant also stings and is yellowish-brown in color. The Pharaoh ant also boasts a rapidly growing colony system, making them a concern once they've invaded a property.
Ants Invade: Here's Why
Ants seek to come inside or onto your property for several reasons. However, they all boil down to a few things. First, they are opportunistic and will take advantage of even the slightest openings. Whether it's a tiny hole in the wall or an improperly sealed pipe or wire, they'll come inside to investigate.
This brings up the other reason why they invade. Ants need water and food sources that are accessible. When they smell or detect either, your Tampa home functions as a beacon. To make matters worse, ants leave behind a scent trail so the others can find their way back to the food and water they leave behind. So how do you keep this from happening? Follow these prevention tips and you'll be much better off:
- Eliminate Water Access: Ants need water. They won't stick around if they can't access water regularly. You can make your home less inviting by repairing leaking pipes, clogged gutters, or removing sources of standing water from the premises.
- Remove Food Sources: Ants love sweet foods and drinks as well as fattening ones. That's why they invite themselves to your picnics. Make sure food that isn't being eaten remains covered. When finished with the food, store any leftovers properly. Make sure no fruits or vegetables are left out in your kitchen.
- Trail Blocking: We mentioned they leave a scent trail to find their way back. You can disrupt this by using soap, water, and various cleaners to remove traces of their pheromones. Make sure the cleaned area is completely dry when done.
Complete Ant Control With Eco Tech Pest Control Services
At a minimum, ants make a nuisance of themselves by crawling over everything. Unfortunately, this means they contaminate the food and items they crawl over. Some, like the red fire ant or the carpenter ant, represent a danger to you and your property.
That's why at EcoTech Pest Control Services our first priority is to deliver eco-friendly home pest control services that get the job done without compromising the safety of you and your loved ones. Our services come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee because you deserve nothing less than the best. Call us today at EcoTech Pest Control Services to get started!