How To Keep The Ticks At Bay In Tampa
August 30, 2022
If you're a resident of Tampa, then you know that the bugs can be pretty bad here. And by "bugs," we mean ticks. These small pests are attracted to your yard by things like moisture and shade, and they can quickly infest your property if you're not careful. EcoTech Pest Control Services will discuss how to keep the ticks at bay in Tampa. We'll cover what attracts them to your yard, how to tell if you have an infestation, diseases they can spread, and how to get rid of them for good with pest control in Tampa.
Does Longer Grass Attract Ticks?
One of the most common questions we get about ticks in Tampa is whether or not longer grass attracts them. And the answer is yes, it does. Ticks are attracted to tall grass and weeds because they provide the perfect hiding spot for them to wait for their next meal (like you or your pet).
If you have a lot of tall grass and weeds on your property, it's time to start mowing and trimming more often. This will create a less hospitable environment for ticks and make it easier for you to spot them before they have a chance to bite.
How To Tell If There's A Tick Infestation In Your Yard
There are a few signs that you can look for to determine if you have a tick infestation:
- Ticks are visible on your body or on your clothes after spending time outside.
- You notice bites on your body that were not there before.
- You find ticks in your home.
- Your pets are scratching more than usual or you see ticks on them.
- You or someone in your home starts showing symptoms of a tick-borne illness.
If you notice any of these signs, it's time to take action. The longer you wait, the worse the tick infestation will get.
Lyme Time: Diseases Ticks In Tampa Can Spread
Tick bites can cause a number of diseases, some of which can even be fatal. These include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and ehrlichiosis. Lyme disease is the most well-known of these illnesses, and it can cause a wide range of symptoms including fever, headaches, fatigue, and joint pain.
All of these diseases are serious, and it's important to take steps to protect yourself from ticks to avoid them. If you experience any of these symptoms, or if you think you may have been bitten by a tick, it's important to see a doctor as soon as possible so you can be tested for these diseases.
Total Tick Control Made Easy In Tampa
The best way to prevent these pests from becoming a problem to begin with is to take some preventive tick control measures in your yard:
- Keep your grass short. As we mentioned before, ticks love tall grass and weeds. Regularly mowing your grass is one of the best methods of natural tick prevention.
- Remove any tall weeds or brush. Ticks also like to hide in tall weeds and brush. If you have any on your property, make sure to remove them.
- Trim trees and shrubs so they're not touching your house. Ticks can climb trees and shrubs and then drop down onto your property. Make sure to trim them back so they're not touching your house.
- Make sure there's no standing water on your property. Ticks need moisture to survive, so they're attracted to standing water. Make sure to empty out any birdbaths, kiddie pools, or other sources of standing water.
Following these tips on tick control for your yard will help to keep them away from your property and reduce the risk of them biting you or your family. If you have any concerns about ticks, or if you think you may have an infestation, contact EcoTech Pest Control Services. We'll be happy to come out and take a look at your property and provide you with a free quote for our home pest control or commercial pest control services.