How To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Tampa, FL Yard
August 13, 2021
If you live in Tampa, you know how much of a problem mosquitoes are, and you might think the best way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard is by lighting candles or spraying bug spray, but this will only keep them away for a short amount of time. To keep mosquitoes from inhabiting, you need to assess the factors on your property that are attracting them. Mosquitos aren’t just annoying; they are known as the most dangerous animal in the world.
Mosquitoes are vectors and can spread diseases such as malaria, West Nile virus, the Zika virus, eastern equine encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis, and more. These diseases are transmitted from insect to person or animal through saliva when they bite through their straw-like mouth. They can also transfer deadly parasitic heartworms to pets. As you can see, deterring these tiny flying insects is essential to the health and safety of you, your family, and your pets. To do this, you need to know what attracts them to your Tampa Bay property and how to reduce these attractive factors.
What Attracts Mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are common in the Tampa Bay area because of the year-round humid weather and ample rainfall. And although this is the case, there might be things making your property more enticing than others to these unwanted pests. The following are factors that attract mosquitoes:
- Standing Water: Mosquitoes only need a few inches of standing water to breed.
- Ample Shade: Mosquitoes don’t last long in direct sunlight, which is why shade is necessary for them to survive.
- Flowers: Only female mosquitoes consume blood while males eat flower nectar and other sweet liquids.
Now that you know what attracts mosquitoes read the tips listed below on ways you can remove these factors.
What Helps Prevent Mosquitoes?
If you have a high population of mosquitoes on your property, you should do the following to make your yard and yourself less attractive to them:
- Remove standing water by checking to see if gutters are clogged; planters hold water and check to see if there are other containers on your property that are holding water.
- If you have a pond or birdbath in your yard, you should change the water frequently, utilize filters and water treatments that are safe for animals.
- Reduce shade by keeping the grass cut low, trimming back excess foliage, and removing unnecessary debris.
- If you have flowering plants on your property, don’t allow them to over flower as they will produce more of the nectar that mosquitoes consume.
- Utilize plants that are known to deter mosquitoes, such as citronella, lavender, and marigolds.
- You can allow natural predators such as birds, bats, and spiders in your yard.
- Wear light-colored clothing rather than dark colors.
- Limit your time outside to the afternoon when mosquitoes are least active.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, especially beer, when outside.
A crucial step in eliminating mosquitoes on any property is breaking the breeding cycle. However, it can be difficult to do so if you are not experienced in dealing with this pest. So, your best bet is to contact professionals.
What’s The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away?
The best way to combat mosquitoes is with professional assistance. Call EcoTech Pest Control Services if you are tired of dealing with this dangerous pest on your Tampa Bay property. We understand mosquito activity in the area, and this knowledge is essential for effective mosquito control. Our services include a full inspection of your property, removing standing water, installing the In2Care system, and monthly treatments. So, don’t wait; contact us at EcoTech Pest Control Services to learn more about how you can protect yourself and your family against mosquitoes in Tampa Bay.